Science, Technology, and Engineering Applications
What .. you thought (K)Ubuntu was just for play? Also see Ubuntu Science.
OpenEMR (Electronic Health Record)
OpenEMR is a mature, robust, outpatient-setting electronic medical record system that is certified in the US.
- Make sure the LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP5) stack is installed first:
sudo apt-get install tasksel sudo tasksel install lamp-server
VistA (Enterprise Electronic Health Record)
OpenVistA and WorldVistA are two varieties of the largest and most robust CCHIT-approved electronic health record platform in the public domain. They are GPL licensed, are based on the US Veterans Administration health record system, and can be installed as an integrated database, server, and client system. See the detailed download and installation instructions for OpenVistA and WorldVistA, or visit Vistapedia for other instructions. Also see the Ultimate Server with OpenVistA EHR.
- NOSH Charting System / EMR is a free, open-source EMR project in development that can be installed in (K)Ubuntu from a private repository found here.
- QCAD is a free (GPLv3-licensed for versions >3.1), open source 2D-CAD system similar to AutoCAD. Install:
sudo apt-get install qcad
- LibreCAD is a Qt-based free (GPLv2-licensed), open source 2D-CAD system which is a fork of QCAD 2.0. Install:
sudo apt-get librecad
- KiCad is an open source software suite for electronic design automation (EDA), facilitating the design of schematics for electronic circuits and their conversion to PCBs (printed circuit board) design. Install:
sudo apt-get install kicad
- DraftSight is a proprietary 2D-CAD system (like AutoCAD) with a free, limited version available for multiple platforms (including Linux).
- VariCAD is a commercial 3D-CAD package for multiple platforms (including Linux). There is no open source or community version.
Scilab, Octave, and FreeMat are three open source solutions for solving complex numerical mathematical problems. Symbolic mathematical problems can be solved with Maxima and Mathomatic. All of these programs are included in the Ubuntu Universe repositories.
GNU Octave is a free, open source (GPL licensed) platform for solving linear and non-linear equations, similar to (and mostly compatible with) MATLAB. It interfaces well with Gnuplot. For troubleshooting tips, see this thread. Install:
sudo apt-get install octave3.0
sudo apt-get install libatlas3gf-base gnuplot qtoctave
Note: QTOctave is a GUI for Gnuplot or Easyplot 1.1, and and the ATLAS library is an algebra-software-optimization set of utilities.
An older GUI for Octave/Gnuplot is qgfe (available as the package qgfe).
Freemat is a free, open source (GPL licensed) platform for solving linear and non-linear equations, similar to (and mostly compatible with) Matlab. Install from Add/Remove Programs (Edutainment) or
sudo apt-get install freemat
Maxima is a free, open source (GPL licensed) computer algebra system (CAS) for doing symbolic mathematics. It can solve equations with many variables, simplify expressions, do calculus, and many other advanced operations. To install:
sudo apt-get install wxmaxima
To run, enter:
Or select wxMaxima from the Applications/Science menu. wxMaxima is the standard Maxima GUI.
Mathomatic is a free, open source (LGPL licensed) command-line computer algebra system for doing calculations and symbolic mathematics. It can automatically solve and simplify algebraic equations, do some calculus, and other simple but useful operations. To install:
sudo apt-get install mathomatic mathomatic-primes
To run, enter:
Or select it from the Applications/Science menu.
Amateur Radio applications
Fldigi is a free, open-source (GPL) application for digital-mode amateur radio communications using a sound card. Enable "Community Maintained Software (universe)" in Software Sources; then install either from Add/Remove Programs under (Amateur Radio) or by typing
sudo apt-get install fldigi
Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, and hobbyists interested in creating interactive objects or environments. See this tutorial.
See this Techsource overview of robotics-oriented applications for Linux.
LaTeX is a LaTeX is a free high-quality typesetting system for the production of technical and scientific documentation.
LyX is a WYSIWYG frontend and GUI interface useful in creating documents formatted for LaTeX. Install:
sudo apt-get install lyx
LaTeX Reference Managers
- The standard LaTeX bibliography (BibTeX) tool can be manipulated with one of several tools:
- nbibtex. Install:
sudo apt-get install nbibtex
- jabref. Install:
sudo apt-get install jabref
- biblatex. Install:
sudo apt-get install biblatex
- kbibtex (for KDE). Install:
sudo apt-get install kbibtex
- Zotero is a Firefox plugin that allows culling references (and reference content) from online references.