- For scanning utilities, see this section.
- For optical character recognition (OCR) utilities, see this section.
LibreOffice is a free and open source (GPL-licensed) office suite with applications for word processing (Writer), math formulae and equations (Math), diagrams and charts (Draw), presentations (Impress), spreadsheets (Calc), and databases (Base) that is now installed by default in (K)Ubuntu. If not, it can be installed:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice
Open Word 2007 Documents in LibreOffice
The latest edition of LibreOffice opens .docx (i.e. Word 2007) documents by default.
Calligra is a KDE-oriented office suite that is fork of (and replaces) KOffice. It includes applications for word processing (Words), graphics and painting (Karbon and Krita), presentation and diagrams (Stage and Flow), spreadsheets (Sheets), databases (Kexi), and project management (Plan). Install:
sudo apt-get install calligra
sudo apt-get install abiword
GoldenDict (Multi-lingual Dictionary and Translator)
sudo apt-get install goldendict
Xournal is a free (GPL-licensed) GTK/Gnome-based application for notetaking, sketching, or keeping a journal using a stylus. Install (universe repositories must be enabled):
sudo apt-get install xournal
- Gucharmap is a Gnome-based utility for finding special characters which are not available on the keyboard. Install:
sudo apt-get install gucharmap
Print to a PDF file
(K)Ubuntu allows printing of any document to the PDF format by default. From any application:
- File -> Print -> Print to File -> Output: PDF
View a PDF document
Evince is the default PDF document viewer in Ubuntu. PDF files are associated by default with Evince, so clicking on a PDF file (from a file manager such as Nautilus) will open it with Evince. Evince can also be started:
- Menu -> Office -> Evince
Scan to a PDF file
Gscan2pdf is a utility to do exactly that: scan to a PDF file. Multiple options for scanning can be set. Install:
sudo apt-get install gscan2pdf
Scan receipts to PDF from Android
- See this section.
PDF Toolkit (PDF file management)
sudo apt-get install pdftk
- To delete pages from a PDF file:
pdftk old.pdf cat 1-9 26-end output new.pdf
PDF-Shuffler (PDF file management)
PDF-Shuffler is a free GTK-based utility to manipulate multiple PDF files, allowing individual pages or entire PDF documents to be re-arranged, rotated, merged, or deleted. This is an essential tool for working with PDF files. Install:
sudo apt-get install pdf-shuffler
- Menu -> Office -> PDF-Shuffler
MaxView (PDF file management)
MaxView is a utility to capture, manipulate and rearrange, and print .pdf and .max files. Written in Qt, it is similar in some respects to Paperport.
- Download and install the .deb package (use i386 instead of amd64 if using a 32-bit OS):
wget -O maxview_current.deb http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxview/files/maxview0.7-2/maxview_0.7-2_amd64_maverick.deb/download sudo dpkg -i maxview_current.deb
- Start MaxView in a GUI by creating a menu item with the Command: maxview /home/user, where /home/user is the directory in which you wish MaxView to start.
PDFMod (PDF file management)
PdfMod is a Gnome-based application to reorder, rotate, and remove pages, export images from a document, edit the title, subject, author, and keywords, and combine documents via drag and drop. Install:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pdfmod-team/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install pdfmod
PDFedit (PDF file editor)
PDFedit is a free (GPL-licensed), Qt-based PDF file editing and manipulation program that uses a GUI for editing. Install:
sudo apt-get install pdfedit
Import PDF files into a word processor
Import PDF files into LibreOffice Writer
PDF files can be imported into the LibreOffice Writer word processor as a hybrid document (not a scanned character document) by installing:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice-pdfimport
Import PDF files into KWord
Kword is the Word Processor package in KOffice. It allows the importing of PDF files by default.
PDF-XChange (PDF file editor)
DjVu is an open source file format that is an alternative to PDF. Files in this format are more compact while retaining image-layer separation of images and text. DjVu files can be read by both Evince (in Ubuntu) and Okular (in Kubuntu).
- A PDF to DjVU convertor (pdf2djvu) can be installed:
sudo apt-get install pdf2djvu
- A utility to scan documents to DjVU format (gscan2pdf) can be installed:
sudo apt-get install gscan2pdf
- A standalone DjVU document viewer can be installed:
sudo apt-get install djview4
- A utility to convert DjVU documents to PDF format (djvu2pdf) can be installed:
sudo apt-get install djvulibre-bin ghostscript wget http://0x2a.at/site/projects/djvu2pdf/djvu2pdf_0.9.2-1_all.deb sudo apt-get install djvu2pdf_0.9.2-1_all.deb
CHM files are proprietary Microsoft Compiled HTML format help files used in Windows 98 (through Windows 7).
CHM file viewers
- kchmviewer is a Qt-based CHM file viewer (which can be used with KDE / Kubuntu). Install:
sudo apt-get install kchmviewer
- chmsee is a GTK-based CHM file viewer (which can be used with Ubuntu). Install:
sudo apt-get install chmsee
- xchm is a CHM file viewer for Linux. Install:
sudo apt-get install xchm
CHM file conversion
- Calibre can be used to convert .CHM files to a wide variety of other formats, including other eBook formats.
- chm2pdf is a utility to convert .CHM files to .PDF. Install:
sudo apt-get install chm2pdf
- Convert a file (also see these tips or use man chm2pdf in a command line terminal):
chm2pdf --book inputfilename.chm outputfilename.pdf
- The option --webpage can be used instead of --book to give different formatting.
- arCHMage is a Python-based utility to extract text, HTML formatting, images, and CSS styles from the .CHM file. (See the ArCHMage website for more instructions.) Install:
sudo apt-get install archmage
FBReader (e-book reader)
FBReader is a free cross-platform e-book reader, based on the GTK platform. Install:
sudo apt-get install fbreader
Calibre (eBook conversion)
Calibre is an eBook reader, library manager, and tool for conversion between many eBook formats (including the .epub format). Install:
sudo apt-get install calibre
- eBook conversion examples and tips are here.
Sigil (eBook editing and conversion)
Sigil allows creation and editing of an eBook in .epub format and conversion from other formats. Download and install the binary from the website.
eCub (eBook editing and conversion)
eCub allows creation and editing of an eBook in .epub format and conversion from other formats. Download and install the .deb package from the website.
sudo apt-get install qrencode
- For instructions for command-line usage, in a command line terminal open the manual:
- Example usage (from a command-line terminal):
qrencode -o generatedimage.png "Have a Nice Day"
- which will create a .png image showing the QR code for the simple text Have a Nice Day (note the usage of parentheses to accommodate the spaces in the text), or use
qrencode -o generatedimage.png http://ubuntuguide.org
- to create a .png image showing the QR code for the URL of Ubuntuguide.
- Qr-code-creator is a GUI for qrencode. Download and install the .deb package directly from the Launchpad site.
qtqr (QR encoder/decoder GUI)
QR Tools comprises a Python-based backend for manipulating QR codes (python-qrtools) and a GUI (qtqr). In Trusty or later, install:
sudo apt-get install qr-tools
- In earlier versions download and install the .deb packages qtqr_1.2_all.deb and python-qrtools_1.2_all.deb from the QR Tools Launchpad site.
qreator (QR encoder GUI)
Qreator is a GUI-based QR code generator. See the installation instructions at the Launchpad site.
QR code viewers
- Zbar is a free open-source barcode and QR code scanner that recognizes many formats. Install the utilities and the GTK-bindings:
sudo apt-get install zbar-tools libzbargtk0
- For Android phones, a free, simple (ad-free) QR code scanner is Obsqr, whose .apk can be downloaded and installed directly from the F-Droid site listed.
Scripts and Screenplays
- Trelby is an open source alternative to Final Draft. A .deb package can be downloaded from the website and installed directly.
- Using a MediaWiki extension, a screenplay can be written in MediaWiki, allowing conversion to other formats.
Personal Information Managers
Kontact Personal Information Manager
Kontact is the default PIM included with Kubuntu. Kontact includes email, an address book, a calendar, reminders, pop-up notes, a link to the Akregator News/RSS reader, time-tracking, and more. Its many functions resemble MS-Outlook. Through connectors it interfaces with many groupware servers (such as Kolab and eGroupware). Install:
sudo apt-get install kontact
BasKet Note Pads
BasKet Note Pads is a personal note-taking application that resides on your computer and can be used for creating "to-do" lists. It is great for centralising your thoughts in one place. Install it:
sudo apt-get install basket
Planner (Project planning & management)
sudo apt-get install planner
You can keep track how long you use an application with a TimeTracker application. Keep records for billing or simply limit your Internet usage. See this list of similar-function apps for Linux.
- Project Hamster is a time-tracking applet for the Gnome desktop. Install:
sudo apt-get install hamster-applet
- Gtimelog is a simple version for GtK. Install:
sudo apt-get install gtimelog
sudo apt-get install ktimetracker
Calendar clients include
- For info on group calendar servers see this section.
Mozilla Sunbird (Calendar)
Sunbird is a standalone group calendar client that has largely been replaced by the Lightning extension for Thunderbird and Firefox. Download from the website and install by clicking on the downloaded file to extract, or:
sudo mkdir /etc/sunbird cd /etc/sunbird sudo wget -O sunbird-current.tar.bz2 http://download.mozilla.org/?product=sunbird-1.0b1&os=linux64&lang=en-US tar -xvjf sunbird-current.tar.bz2
- Replace os=linux64 with os=linux if using a 32-bit OS.
- Then create a menu item named Sunbird to point to the Command: /etc/sunbird/sunbird