Ubuntu Edgy/General Notes
(Difference between revisions)
Current revision as of 06:39, 20 September 2006
- This is an Unofficial Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) Starter Guide. It is not associated with Ubuntu and Canonical Ltd.
- This guide can be discussed at the official UbuntuGuide.org Forum at ubuntuforums.org. Stop by and join the discussion.
- Guide is tested on a full installation of the Ubuntu 6.06 x86 Install CD (Dapper Drake)
- If you see a bluish box, this means you have to execute the commands in Terminal mode (Applications -> System Tools -> Terminal) or use the content of that box as mentioned in some other instructions.
- To reduce typo mistakes, copy and paste the commands into Terminal mode (right click on the commands -> "Copy" or "Paste". You can also use Ctrl+C to copy and Shift+Insert to paste it)
- "sudo" means superuser do. "sudo" will prompt for "Password:". Please specify user password
- If you want more information about any command, simply look at the manual page for it using the "man" command. For example, "man sudo" will display the manual page for the "sudo" command.
- If you are tired of typing "apt-get" all the time, Read #How to apt-get the easy way (Synaptic)
- "apt-get" and "wget" requires Internet connection to install/update/download programs
- To download file, right click on the link -> Select "Save Link As..." -> Make sure file name and extension are correct
- If you wish to help translating Ubuntu to your native language or to help Ubuntu otherwise visit https://launchpad.net/
- May the "humanity to others" spirit be with you always...
- If you are using Kubuntu you don't need to install Gedit anymore, because now there's a symbolic link from "gedit" to "kate", so you can use all the commands below with no problems. By the way, if you want to use gedit as your editor, do:
sudo apt-get install gedit
- If the "gedit" command (symbolic link) is not working, you could also create it:
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/kate /usr/bin/gedit
- If you are using 64-bit version replace any "i386" with "amd64"