Kubuntu Trusty Photos and Graphics
Photos and Graphics
Manage and edit your photos, create stunning 3D drawings and graphics, or convert between formats.
GIMP (Image Manipulator)
Gimp is a powerful, full-featured, free open-source graphics and image editor, similar to Adobe Photoshop.
sudo apt-get install gimp
- There is an extra set of brushes, palettes, and gradients for The GIMP.
sudo apt-get install gimp-data-extras
- See these instructions to create an alpha transparency layer (transparent background) for any image using Gimp.
Gwenview (Image Manipulator)
Gwenview is the quick image manipulator installed by default in Kubuntu (K menu -> Graphics -> Gwenview Image Viewer). Simple cut-and-paste, resizing, and format conversion are some of the graphics files manipulations that can be accomplished. Install:
sudo apt-get install gwenview
- Using the Print Assistant plugin (available in KDE by installing the KIPI plugins package), multiple images per page can be printed.
- Gwenview -> Plugins -> Images -> Print Assistant -> Select page layout
Print Photos from Gwenview
It took me several steps to successfully print digital photos on glossy photo paper from Gwenview, which are detailed here.
Krita (Painting and Drawing)
Krita is a drawing and painting program that is part of the KOffice suite of applications. It has many of the functions of Gimp. Install:
sudo apt-get install krita
Adding Text to Images with Krita
- Krita -> Add Shape: Text -> (Resize and position shape box) -> Double-click on the newly created shape box to bring up the Text Tool
Dia (Diagram editor)
Dia is a free open source GTK-based diagram creation program for Gnome (but can be used in KDE). It is similar to Visio.
sudo apt-get install dia
Kivio (Diagram editor)
Kivio is an open source flow-chart and diagram creation program that is part of the KOffice Suite for KDE. It supports Dia stencils.
sudo apt-get install kivio
Karbon (Vector Illustrator)
Karbon is a vector graphics illustration application that is part of the KDE-oriented Calligra suite of office applications. Install:
sudo apt-get install karbon
Inkscape (Vector Illustrator)
Inkscape Vector Illustrator is an open source drawing program similar to Illustrator and CorelDraw.
sudo apt-get install inkscape
Digikam (Photo Organiser)
Digikam is a comprehensive open source digital photo organiser and editor for KDE. It is installed by default in Kubuntu. If not, you can install it:
sudo apt-get install digikam kipi-plugins digikam-doc
KIPI plugins (KDE Image Plugin Interface) provides a common plugin structure for digiKam, KPhotoAlbum, Showimg, and Gwenview. Install:
sudo apt-get install kipi-plugins
Google Picasa (Photo Organiser)
Google Picasa is a photo editor and organiser similar to Digikam. It allows uploads to a Google web server for online exchange. For more info, see the Picasa for Linux FAQ. A self-installing .deb file is available at Picasa 2.7 downloads.
Accessing a digital camera from the Dolphin file manager
- Plug in your digital camera to the USB port using the appropriate cord and make sure the camera is turned on.
- Start the Dolphin file manager.
- In the leftmost panel of the Dolphin file manager, mount the camera as a folder:
- Dolphin -> <right-click> on the leftmost panel -> Add Entry... -> Label: Digital Camera
- -> Location: camera:/
- Now you should be able to access the contents of the digital camera as a folder.
- It may be necessary to adjust the settings of the camera first (to be sure it is properly recognised):
- K Menu -> Settings -> System Settings -> Digital Camera
OpenClipart (ClipArt Library)
OpenClipart is a utility to provide access to a large library of free PNG, SVG, and OpenOffice clipart. It includes a utility for OpenOffice Gallery. Files are installed to /usr/share/clipart. Install:
sudo apt-get install openclipart
It is also possible to only install a single collection (openclipart-png, openclipart-svg, or openclipart-openoffice.org) in case you don't want the entire collection (or the utilities). For example:
sudo apt-get install openclipart-png
Optical Character Readers
Tesseract (Optical Character Reader)
Tesseract is a command-line optical character reader. Install:
sudo apt-get install tesseract-ocr
Ocropus is a document-analysis engine that uses Tesseract. Install:
sudo apt-get install ocropus
Cuneiform (Optical Character Reader)
sudo apt-get install cuneiform
- Pdfocr is a tool to use Cuneiform for OCR and then to add the resulting text file layer back to the PDF file to make it searchable.
YAGF (Cuneiform/Tesseract GUI)
YAGF is a Qt-based GUI for Cuneiform, Tesseract, and/or XSane. Installation can be from a Debian (.deb) package from GetDeb (see these instructions as well) or by compiling from source downloaded from the original site. (Qt 4.7 or later, already part of Trusty, is required on your system).
Xsane (Scanning utility)
Xsane is a full-featured scanning utility. Install:
sudo apt-get install xsane
Some users report a "SANE: Error during device I/O" error with HP multifunction printers. See this bug report. If experiencing this problem, verify it in the logs:
sudo nano /var/log/User.log
- If the logs include a line that references the file "libhpmud.so", such as in this example:
scanimage: scan/sane/soapht.c 67: unable to load restricted library: libhpmud.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
- then try creating the following symlink to fix the issue:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libhpmud.so.0 /usr/lib/libhpmud.so
Simple Scan is a straightforward Gnome-based scanning utility that uses the same SANE backend as Xsane. Install:
sudo apt-get install simple-scan
Skanlite is a lightweight KDE4-based scanning utility included by default in many KDE-based systems. If not, install:
sudo apt-get install skanlite
Gnome-Scan (Scanning Utility)
Gnome-Scan is a simple utility for scanning. Install:
sudo apt-get install gnomescan