Internet applications enable you to make full use of your Internet connection. Web browsers, Email clients, Instant Messengers, and more are included in this category.
Rekonq is the default web browser included with Kubuntu.
Konqueror was the prior default web browser included with Kubuntu.
KGet (Download Manager) plug-in for Konqueror
sudo apt-get install kget
Mozilla Firefox is the ubiquitous web browser. Based on open source components, it is trademarked and cannot be altered or re-distributed with any change that involves the name or trademarks. Install the current version:
sudo apt-get install firefox
Adblock Plus plug-in (block ads in a web page)
Adblock Plus blocks ads that appear in web pages. You can subscribe to a free filter service, and can add ads to block with a single click.
sudo apt-get install xul-ext-adblock-plus
- You can also add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Search All Add-ons -> AdBlock Plus. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
Noscript plug-in (controls scripts)
The Noscript plugin is considered one of the most important security measures for browsing the Internet. Most viruses and trojans gain access to computers from the Internet through scripts. This plugin allows you to choose which scripts to allow and blocks the rest.
- Add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Search All Add-ons -> Noscript. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
RefreshBlocker plug-in (prevents redirects)
RefreshBlocker allows the user to decide which websites (and pages) will be allowed to redirect (based on META tags within the webpage). Although Firefox (as of version 3.5) blocks all directs by default, the behavior is not customizable; it is therefore preferable to turn off the Firefox redirect control and use RefreshBlocker instead.
- Add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Search All Add-ons -> RefreshBlocker. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
- Turn off the Firefox automatic redirect blocker:
- Firefox -> Enter about:config in the browser location bar -> right-click on "accessibility:blockautorefresh" -> Toggle to change the value from true to false
User Agent Switcher plug-in for Firefox
The User Agent Switcher plugin allows a browser to masquerade as another browser, allowing (most of the time) browser-specific content to be displayed.
- You can add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Search All Add-ons -> User Agent Switcher. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
Video DownloadHelper plug-in for Firefox
The Video DownloadHelper plugin allows the download of videos (including Flash videos) from sites like YouTube.
- You can add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Search All Add-ons -> Video DownloadHelper. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
Unplug Download Management
The UnPlug add-on lets you save video and audio which is embedded on a webpage.
- You can add this extension from Firefox -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Get Add-ons -> Browse All Add-ons. (This method will also ensure that automatic updates are installed by Firefox.)
Lucifox (eBook reader extension)
Lucifox (Lucidor for Firefox) enables e-books to be read and e-book catalogs to be browsed in a Firefox window.
- To install, go to the website and click "Download Now."
Adobe Acrobat Reader for Firefox Plug-in
- Read Add Extra Kubuntu Repositories and enable the Natty partner repository:
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu natty partner
- then install Adobe Reader:
sudo apt-get install acroread
Adobe Flash Player for Firefox Plug-in
To install the official Adobe Flash plugin (Flash 10) for Firefox:
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
Gnash Plug-in (Open source Flash Player replacement)
Gnash is available in a 64-bit version as well as a 32-bit version. It is the open source replacement for Adobe Flashplayer.
sudo apt-get install gnash
After installing, change your web browser's Preferences -> Applications so that SWF and SPL files use Gnash.
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) for Firefox plug-in
This package must be installed to run Java in Firefox, even if JRE is installed using kubuntu-restricted-extras or when installing OpenOffice.
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre
Note: You must accept the license to use this product.
Kaffeine Plug-in for Firefox
This package also installs the Kaffeine player.
sudo apt-get install kaffeine-mozilla
MPlayer plug-in for Firefox
Gecko-mediaplayer has replaced the Mplayer plugin. This package also installs gnome-mplayer.
sudo apt-get install gecko-mediaplayer
VLC plug-in for Firefox
This package also installs the VLC player.
sudo apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc
Helix player plug-in for Firefox
This package also installs the Helix player, which is the open source player that plays Real Player content in Linux.
sudo apt-get install mozilla-helix-player
Moonlight plugin for Firefox
Moonlight is part of the Novell Mono project that is an open source implementation of Silverlight (the Microsoft multimedia presentation platform). It is based on FFMpeg. It is made to work best with the Firefox 3 web browser, as a plugin (but also works with other mozilla browsers). Version 2.3 is available as a plugin for mozilla-based browsers:
sudo apt-get install moonlight-plugin-mozilla
- The stable version 2.4 is available here. The Moonlight 3.99 plugin (compatible with most Silverlight 3/4 content) is here.
- Netflix under Moonlight
- Netflix streaming requires both the capabilities of Silverlight 2.0 and Digital Rights Management modules. Although the current version of Moonlight 2.0 will run most Silverlight content (including Netflix content), Netflix has not yet released Digital Rights Management modules for Linux. Please contact Netflix directly for further information or sign a petition.
- An HTML5 Netflix plugin (currently being developed by Google for the Chrome browser) may soon be available. Another alternative is the Netflix Android app which can be used in a virtual Android environment.
FireFTP for Firefox
FireFTP is a Firefox extension for FTP transfers.
Turn off browser bar drop-down list in Firefox
This is the most frequently asked problem regarding Firefox. To turn off the location browser bar drop-down list (and therefore not show your browsing history):
- Firefox -> about:config (in the location browser bar) -> browser.urlbar.maxRichResults -> right-click -> Modify -> set value to 0
View Firefox cache
In a new window/tab, enter about:cache in the Firefox address bar. You can view and save individual elements (from all open windows/tabs) in the cache from there.
SeaMonkey is an open-source integrated internet application suite (web browser, IM (IRC) client, Email client, RSS/News reader, and web development tools). It is based on the same components as the Mozilla products (Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.) and shares the same trademark and branding restrictions. There are many plugins, similar to those for Thunderbird and Firefox. Install the current version:
sudo apt-get install seamonkey
- The browser alone can be installed:
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-browser
- The email/news client alone can be installed:
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-mailnews
- The IRC client (Chatzilla) alone can be installed:
sudo apt-get install seamonkey-chatzilla
IceApe is an open-source integrated internet application suite (including web browser, IM (IRC) client, Email client, RSS/News reader, and web development tools). It is based on the same components as the Mozilla product SeaMonkey, but has no restrictive trademark licensing, and is endorsed by the Debian project. Components can be downloaded as .deb packages and then installed. Packages include iceape, iceape-browser, iceape-mailnews, and iceape-chatzilla.
GNUzilla and IceCat
The GNU project also maintains a version of the SeaMonkey suite that is free of trademarks and branding, called GNUZilla and IceCat. .deb packages can be downloaded and installed through the GNUzilla PPA repositories
Opera is a proprietary browser and internet suite (currently free on PCs) also used in some mobile devices and gaming consoles. It includes email, an address book, IRC chat, integrated BitTorrent, and webfeeds. A limited number of plugins are also available. Download from the website and follow the instructions or install from the Opera repository:
echo "deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ stable non-free" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera.list wget -O - http://deb.opera.com/archive.key | sudo apt-key add - sudo apt-get install opera
Chromium is the open source browser on which Google Chrome is based.
sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
Google Chrome is Google's web browser. Based on the Chromium browser, Google adds the Google name and logo, an auto-updater system called GoogleUpdate, RLZ, and other Google add-ons. Download and install it here.
KGet is a versatile and user-friendly download manager.
MultiGet is a GTK-based free-standing download manager utility.
sudo apt-get install multiget
sudo apt-get install pan
- K menu -> Office -> Kontact Personal Information Manager
- K menu -> Internet -> KMail
Kontact includes email, an address book, a calendar, reminders, pop-up notes, a link to the Akregator News/RSS reader, time-tracking, and more.
To change view mode or aggregation mode (grouping) of the message list pane, use the icons to the right of the search pane. (Configuration of this doesn't seem to be available from the settings menus.)
PGP and Kmail
- Kmail -> Configure Kmail -> Security -> Crypto Backends
Mozilla Thunderbird is a licensed and trademarked free open-source email client that is compatible with Firefox. Thunderbird works with free Gmail and Yahoo Mail accounts (using Imap). Install:
sudo apt-get install thunderbird
Lightning calendar extension
Lightning is the calendar extension for Thunderbird (with functionality similar to the stand-alone application Sunbird). It is currently available in a 32-bit version only. (If using a 64-bit OS, install the Sunbird calendar client instead.) Install by clicking on the Linux download at the website, or
sudo apt-get install xul-ext-lightning
Enigmail is an add-on to Thunderbird that allows you to easily encrypt your email using OpenPGP, which is included in the kernel by default. It also allows you to create and manage the encryption keys. Go the website and click "Download Now". (64-bit versions are found here.) Install:
- Thunderbird -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Install -> select downloaded file
sudo apt-get install enigmail
- Also see these tips for instructions on setting up e-mail with PGP encryption.
New Mail Icon for Thunderbird
"New Mail Icon" is an experimental tray add-on which notifies you of new mail. Download from the website. Install:
- Thunderbird -> Tools -> Add-ons -> Install -> select downloaded file
Evolution is the default Gnome-based email client used in Ubuntu. Installing it will also install many Gnome components.
sudo apt-get install evolution
FetchYahoo is a Perl script to fetch mail from a free Yahoo mail account and spool it locally so that an email client like Thunderbird can access it with POP3. For more info see the Ubuntu Community documentation. Install:
sudo apt-get install fetchyahoo
Install java and in order to use the internal browser, install the packages xulrunner and firefox:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre firefox xulrunner
Change to your "opt" directory:
Download the zip-archive into your opt directory:
sudo wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/rssowl/rssowl-2.0.6.linux.zip
Extract the archive and remove the extracted file:
sudo unzip ./rssowl-2.0.6.linux.zip && sudo rm ./rssowl-2.0.6.linux.zip
Make a startscript:
sudo kate /usr/bin/runRSSOwl.sh
add the following lines to your startscript file /usr/bin/runRSSOwl.sh and save it afterwards.
#!/bin/bash cd /opt/rssowl ./RSSOwl
Make the startscript executable:
sudo chmod u+x /usr/bin/runRSSOwl.sh
To start RSSOwl:
Kopete is the default Instant Messenger application for KDE/Kubuntu. Webcam video capability is incorporated. You can access multiple services with it. You can access it by:
- K Menu -> Applications -> Internet -> Kopete Instant Messenger.
Additional styles for Kopete are available from KDE-look. Install from:
- Kopete -> Settings -> Configure -> Chat Window -> Style -> Get New...
GoogleTalk on Kopete
Konversation (IRC client)
Konversation is no longer the default Internet Relay Chat (IRC) client in Kubuntu, but is highly recommended nevertheless. It functions similar to the venerable mIRC. Make sure you have ports 6667-6670 open in your firewall to use IRC (and ports 1024-1028 open to use DCC). Install:
sudo apt-get install konversation
- K menu -> Internet -> Konversation
Quassel (IRC client)
Quassel is a cross-platform IRC client currently in development and (for some reason) is now included as the default Kubuntu/KDE client. Based on the Qt platform, there is not yet any DCC implementation (which makes this client limited in usefulness) and it has many bugs. Try Konversation instead.
Pidgin is an open source IM application. It is the default in the Ubuntu (Gnome) desktop, but will work in Kubuntu (KDE). You can access multiple services with it.
sudo apt-get install pidgin
aMSN is an MSN Messenger utility that functions like the original client. Unlike Kopete, it is not made for the KDE desktop (but can be installed nevertheless). Install it:
sudo apt-get install amsn
To enable Drag-and-Drop capabilities to aMSN for easy file transfer see Ubuntu Geek.
sudo apt-get install emesene
sudo apt-get install kmess
KDEuBlog is a desktop widget used for microblogging on sites like Twitter and Identi.ca (StatusNet). The Maverick version does not have OAuth incorporated. Use Choqok instead. Install:
Widget icon (upper right corner of desktop) -> Add widgets ... -> Microblogging
Choqok is a utility used for microblogging on sites like Twitter and Identi.ca (StatusNet). It has incorporated the OAuth mechanism. Install:
sudo apt-get install choqok
- Notifications (popups/sounds) for incoming messages can be set:
- K Menu -> System -> System Settings -> Notifications -> Event Source: Choqok -> New Post Arrived -> Play a sound (ticked)
Filezilla is the ubiquitous free open-source FTP client and server for all platforms.
sudo apt-get install filezilla
Filesharing / P2P
Do not share copyrighted material or content that is otherwise illegal to share.
- K menu -> Internet -> KTorrent
Be sure to have your firewall ports open (by default 6881 and 4444).
- It is possible to use proxies with KTorrent. For example, if you have a tracker proxy at 127.0.0.1:8118 and a socks proxy at 127.0.0.1:9050, then set KTorrent to use these proxies:
- KTorrent -> Settings -> Configure KTorrent... -> Proxy
- -> HTTP:Proxy: 127.0.0.1 -> Port: 8118
- -> SOCKS: Use a SOCKS proxy server: (ticked) -> Server: 127.0.0.1 -> Port: 9050 -> Version 5 (assuming you are using socks5)
- It is possible to use encryption with KTorrent:
- KTorrent -> Settings -> Configure KTorrent... -> BitTorrent -> Encryption -> Use protocol encryption
- It is possible to use PeerGuardian 2 with KTorrent:
- KTorrent -> Plugins -> IP Filter (ticked) -> Settings -> Configure KTorrent... -> IP Filter -> Use PeerGuardian filter (ticked) -> Download/Convert
- Some older routers only allow 20 simultaneous connections or they will continually freeze (as their connection-table cache becomes full). If this occurs, decrease the maximum number of connections to 20:
- KTorrent -> Settings -> Configure KTorrent... -> Network -> Advanced: Maximum number of connection setups: 20
Azureus is a Java-based BitTorrent client.
sudo apt-get install azureus
QTorrent is a PyQT-based BitTorrent Client that is supposed to be very fast.
sudo apt-get install qtorrent
Transmission (BitTorrent Client)
Transmission is the GTK-based default BitTorrent client in Ubuntu (Gnome). KTorrent can be used in Kubuntu.
sudo apt-get install transmission
Apollon (P2P Filesharing)
Apollon is an older BitTorrent client oriented towards KDE. It uses plugins for compatibility with multiple networks.
sudo apt-get install apollon gift
KMLDonkey (P2P eMule/eDonkey2000 Client)
sudo apt-get install kmldonkey mldonkey-server