Kompozer Web Development Editor
sudo apt-get install kompozer
Quanta Plus (Web IDE)
Quanta Plus is an integrated development environment integrated with the KDE desktop. It allows webpage development, database design, and XML design and scripting, for example, using multiple development tools. The latest stable version is 3.5, however, and integrates with the KDE 3.5 environment (Ubuntu Hardy Heron). You should therefore use Ubuntu Hardy Heron with this product. (There is also a commercial version (Quanta Gold), also oriented towards KDE 3).
sudo apt-get install quanta kompare kxsldbg cervisia
sudo apt-get install netbeans
BlueFish Web Development Editor
sudo apt-get install bluefish
Gobby (Multi-user development)
Gobby is a free, multi-platform open source collaborative editor supporting multiple documents in one session and a multi-user chat. Install:
sudo apt-get install gobby
Eclipse is a free open-source cross-platform integrated development environment with plugin support for a large set of programming languages, e.g. Java, C/C++, Python, PHP.
sudo apt-get install eclipse
Version control software
Copies of software being developed at many different locations require a method to ensure that the multiple distributed copies remain synchronized. This can be done using a central repository or using a distributed synchronization technique. For further information, see the official Ubuntu documentation. Several version control platforms exist:
- Bazaar is sponsored by Canonical and also allows distributed synchronization. Also see the official Ubuntu documentation.
- Subversion. Now part of Apache, this is one of the most widely used systems and uses a central repository for synchronization. Also see the official Ubuntu documentation.
- CVS was previously the most widely used system. Also see the official Ubuntu documentation.
- Git allows distributed synchronization and is currently one of the most widely used systems. Also see the Ubuntu community documentation. The git client can be installed:
sudo apt-get install git
- and the gitosis server software:
sudo apt-get install gitosis
SparkleShare (Git frontend)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:warp10/sparkleshare sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install sparkleshare
(K)Ubuntu uses Debian (.deb) packages. Individuals or organizations can create repositories for personal or specialized use. See the Debian wiki introduction. Also see this Ubuntu community advice and this.
DebArchiver is a command-line utility that allows the creation of a folder-based repository. Instructions are from man debarchiver. Install:
sudo apt-get install debarchiver
FTP (online file transfer)
- See this section on FTP servers for more information about vsftp and proftp.
- See this section on FTP clients for more information about FileZilla.
- Also see these FTP tips.
WebDAV (online folders)
- See this section on WebDAV for more information about WebDAV servers and clients.