How to upgrade from Hoary Hedgehog -> Breezy Badger -> Dapper Drake
Method A (Official)
- First update the update manager:
sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade
- Once it has been updated you can upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu:
gksudo "update-manager -c -d"
Method B (Alternative)
- First, make sure you're fully upgraded:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
- If you don't have a CD available make SURE you comment/remove the line pertaining to your CD media
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
- To upgrade from Dapper to Edgy, just replace (ctrl+h) all instances of 'dapper' with 'edgy' within the /etc/apt/sources.list. (See how to add extra repositories).
- Validate updates and upgrade.
sudo aptitude update sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
(Note the use of aptitude rather than apt-get. Please use aptitude as it handles dependencies better and is more likely to succeed in upgrading your system.)
- Save your session, reboot, and enjoy.
NOTE: Try to upgrade from immediately previous versions, e.g. Dapper to Edgy not Breezy to Edgy. If you are running Hoary for instance, upgrade Hoary->Breezy->Dapper->Edgy.